1873 Danish 20 Kroner

The Christian IX Gold 20 Kroner

The Christian IX Gold 20 Kroner was minted between 1873 and 1900.  Christian IX was the King of Denmark from 1863 to 1906. He was first Danish monarch of the House of Glücksburg.

Christian is one of the main reasons there is such a family relationship between European Royal Families. After failing to court his third cousin, Queen Victoria (of Britain), Christian married his second cousin, Princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel. They had six children and married into Royal families across Europe.

The Royalty directly related includes our own Queen Elizabeth II and there is also a link to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh; Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, King Philippe of Belgium, King Harald V of Norway, King Felipe VI of Spain, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Michael I of Romania, Constantine II of Greece, plus the queens consort Anne of Romania, Anne-Marie of Greece, and Queen Sofia of Spain. Christian’s grandsons included George V of the United Kingdom, Nicholas II of Russia, Constantine I of Greece, Christian X of Denmark and Haakon VII of Norway.

It’s no surprise that Christian IX was given the nickname of The Father-in-Law of Europe.

The 20 Kroner gold coin is 0.9 (90%) gold and has 8.06g of gold, actual coin weight is 8.96g. The diameter os 23mm. (The 10 Kroner has a fine weight of 4.03g). The other 10% is copper. Having such a high content of copper the coins often have a reddish tint, especially as they age.

The obverse shows the King:


1873 Danish 20 Kroner Obverse

1873 Danish 20 Kroner Obverse


The reverse is a seated female figure with a shield and porpoise:

1873 Danish 20 Kroner Reverse


Danish 20 Kroner Gold coins were minted between 1873 and 1931, together with the 10 Kroner gold coins. They featured three Danish Kings: Christian IX (1863-1906), Frederick VIII (1906-1912) and Christian X (1912-1947).

Denmark went through a period of over 400 years were the King’s name alternated between Christian and Frederick.

If you have a Danish 20 Kroner Gold coin, M J Hughes Coins are interested in buying it.

 Visit our Shop in Alton

We have a town centre shop called M J Hughes Coins at 27 Market Street, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1HA. See a details of opening times and how to get there on the Visit our Shop page.

 Post to Us

Most people who sell to us prefer to post via Royal Mail Special delivery, which is a guaranteed, signed-for, insured delivery. Usually we will make payment the same day. For details of how to send to us see How to Post to Us

 Meet in Person

We understand not everyone has access to transport to come to us, or get to the Post office. If you have a sizeable collection we are happy to do a home visit to you. We also attend various Coin Fairs every month. If you prefer this way, please see How to Meet Us page.